Friday, July 07, 2006

Thank you for all the birthday wishes. I had a nice quiet day with my boys. Unfortunately it rained all day, so we weren't able to do much, but we had fun. Papa and TJ gave me this Tastee Sub t-shirt, I don't think they realized how cruel it was to taunt me with yummy American food after being in Kaz for 31 days!



Oh well, at least the food at the hotel is pretty good. We also went to a good Turkish cafe for lunch yesterday and got some schnitzel and shashliks. We ordered TJ mashed potatoes (a sure hit) and it had cucumbers and tomatoes as garnish, which he also seemed to like. This is good because they told us at the babyhouse that he doesn't like vegetables, but I think that's because they only give them cabbage...

We also had our medical clinic on the 5th. Everything went really well. The doctor declared him "quite healthy." He is within the 10th percentile for weight and height. Anything "on the charts" is considered good. He weighs 24 lbs and is 32.5 inches tall. The only delay he shows is language, which is a problem all children in the babyhouse have, but we're told he'll pick it up very quickly. For the most part now he just speaks baby babble, but we're teaching him some words like ball, cat, more, up, juice, apple, mama and papa. Oh speaking of "mama," TJ yelled out my name unprompted. I was walking out of the medical clinic and he was sitting in the car with papa. He pointed to me and said "mama"! The kid is smart!

Also TJ is learning how to dance. We either play music videos for him or turn on the radio in our room. On cue he'll start moving from side to side. He also watches as mama and papa dance around and questions what he's gotten himself into.

Today we're off to the US Embassy for TJ's Visa. This is the last piece of paperwork before we can leave Kaz. Unfortunately we would have been able to leave tomorrow, but all the flights are booked, so we're leaving on Tuesday. Four more days! Can't wait to get TJ home!!!!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

And we can't wait until you get home and meet TJ. Hope all goes well with the visa.
Safe trip home.
Love RA Helen

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip home. Jackie

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful birthday. TJ was the best gift you could get. Have a safe trip home.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your 4 days w/TJ in his home country and have a great trip back to his new home country! We await you here w/open arms and tastee submarine sammiches!

Some tips for the flight; it's not the same, but we flew cross-country w/Connor at that age and used these tips. Pack some little things for him to open and play with or eat periodically--even if it's just a cheapie little toy, keyring or snack, having a "new" thing to distract him can be key to a quiet trip. Feel free to leave him in his jammies if he's sleeping either going or coming home. I doubt they sell Benadryl overseas, but that can be helpful in sending him off to sleep. And we are big believers in trying to get on the new schedule however possible--opening the shades to let the light in when it's time to wake up; trying to darken things for sleeping time. Erin still loves to have the blanket over her head when she travels and sleeps. :)

Lots of love and probably way too much advice from,

Patrick, Ray and kids

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you're thrilled you can see the end of this part of your "journey" and are anxiously awaiting the adventures to come!! I've thoroughly enjoyed sharing the beginnings of your new family with you--it has been truly sharing in the "delivery" of TJ. As I said last week, I will have TJ and Miller withdrawal when you no longer need this blog. It has been a great trip! Good luck with the visa and safe trip home!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Lisa! We'll get you a Tastee Sub when you get back!

We want dancing baby pics! :)
That's just too cute. Have a safe trip home---you're only missing rain and unbearable humidity.

-Rogo and TJ

Anonymous said...

Colleen, Maryann, Kim Grossman, Diann Richards and I looked at the pictures in the blog today at a meeting instead of picking out books for our eighth graders to read! It was much more fun!!! I am on my way down the shore to enjoy a beautiful weekend... the rain has been a real drag the past week. Can't wait to see you guys!

Anonymous said...

Lisa and Jon

Happy Belated Birthday! Safe trip back to the United States with your precious little boy. He is absolutely adorable...
Kylie and David

Anonymous said...

Hi Miller Family,
Happy Belated birthday to Mama!I knew it was around Gene's, but I wasn't sure exactly when. Things are looking good for you. Continued good luck.
Love ya. Pat

Anonymous said...

Lisa...hope that you had a very happy birthday...you got the best gift..TJ!
have a question for you..when is TJ's birthday?
Looking foward to your return...
love, the romano family

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm sure TJ is mesmerized by your dancing. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hello Lisa and Jon,
Patrick just told me about your blogsite and I just caught up on everything. As a fellow Metuchenite I would have been happy to help water the lawn/plants and feed your cat but it appears you are already on your way home. If you ever need something in a hurry just give us a holler; it wouldn't take us long to get there! More importantly, God's abundant blessings on the joyous uniting of your growing family. We're so happy for you all. ~Catherine & Brian Katona (Patrick & Ray's friends from Dick's Dock) p.s. Your son is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I wish you and your family all the best.May you Treasure all the moments together...


Johnny