Wednesday, June 21, 2006

We thought we would post with some observations about Kazakhstan.

1. As our translator stated, Kazakhs focus more on fashion and Americans focus more on comfort when it comes to clothes. Most women wear skirts or dresses with high heels. Even women who live in hut-like houses with no running water still look very nice.

2. Americans are "attractions." People stare at us because they are interested. Especially the school children. They like to hear us speak English and ask us questions in English like what our names are and where we live. Jon was even asked if someone could take a picture with him. They are simply curious about us.

3. There are a lot of stray cats and dogs. Cats even hang out at the restaurants. Here is a cat at an outdoor cafe taking an afternoon snooze. We also have several at the hotel. There is a very cute little kitten who hangs out at the guard's shack.



4. There seems to be a lot of flexibility with their traffic laws. Cars often make three lanes when there are only two. They have no problem cutting in front of each other and they like to make u-turns in the middle of the street. No one wears safety belts, and quite honestly, I couldn't even tell you if there are belts in the back of our driver's car. And they definitely don't have car seats for the kids. Also, a yellow light means go. It goes from red to yellow to green.

5. The markets are fun. There are outdoor markets or bazaars where you can buy almost anything at a cheap price. You can bargain a little bit with the merchants but not much. This is where we picked up Gino's shoes - Bona is a big brand here.



There are also indoor markets which are generally thought of as safer and nicer. Here is a picture of "the big market" it has 4 floors, including the basement. This is where our translators typically shop. The basement has toys and housewares, the ground floor has groceries and the second and third floors have a lot of clothing and shoe stores.


6. There are very cute kids in the babyhouses! (okay, I needed a transition)

TJ is a big fan of apples, but at the babyhouse they are taught to eat their food very quickly so he tries to stuff all the food in his mouth at once. We are teaching him to chew a piece first before he gets the next and he needs to show us that his mouth is empty.



TJ also said "ma-ma" yesterday! Jon asked him several times this morning where mama is, and after only a slight delay he pointed to me. Also, we think TJ is going to be a nature lover. He loves pointing at the birds on the playground. He'll like the new sunroom!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a breakthrough! Congratulations, Mama! Thanks for sharing the details of the country. Fascinating!
Love ya,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Jon,
I guess the school children in Kazakhstan feel your CHARISMA as well. Sorry Bouf. Thanks for sharing the info on the town you are in. Everything is fascinating to us. Hi to Lisa and TJ.
Lee

Anonymous said...

How exciting to hear Mama for the first time! You must be thrilled,Lisa
Thanks for sharing your schedule details & interesting observations of the town. We enjoy reading everything and seeing the wonderful pictures. Think of you all day.
Love, Sue-E and Big D

Anonymous said...

And did you get a little misty? I did!

Anonymous said...

Do not bring home anymore kittens.

Can't wait to see you all.

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

"Mama" made me misty, too. Now you have to work on "Gram". Thanks for the Kaz tour. I have been curious about the shopping.
I will be playing with the kitties at home today and watering the indoor plants. We are expecting rain for the next five days so the outdoor plants and flowers will get a good soaking. Love...love...love...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cultural tour. It is amazing that in so many ways people around the world are so similar, but so different at the same time. I find this extremely interesting. Also, thank you for including at least one photo of TJ. He is a cutie pie. I look forward to his pictures everyday. And now having said both mama and dada; it makes my heart melt. My best to all of you. Keep the upadates and photos coming. CarolB.

Anonymous said...

Thanks from me also on the info you've been providing (your schedule, the town, the people). It has all been great. It helps us to share your experiences. I look forward everyday to the newest update! It is absolutely wonderful how TJ has bonded with the two of you. I guess that's why they follow this process! Hang in there--you're almost to the point when he is totally yours!!! In the meantime, it is so great that you are learning everything you possibly can about TJ's culture. Enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! I'm so happy to hear that he recognizes you as his "mama". This is truly wonderful and awesome. I'm kind of at a loss for words. He is learning so much now--- I can't imagine what he'll be doing and saying once he's in NJ. jackie

Anonymous said...

I was very excited to hear that he said Mama too! I really enjoy reading all about your journey and seeing pictures of TJ. He seems so happy and I know he is going to love his home with you in NJ. Good luck with the rest of your time there!

Love,
Jenn